first stage of construction work of the library started
in 1933 according to Indo-Saracenic style designed by famous
architect Narasimhan from Madras, India.
began as a private collection but with the help of primarily
local citizens, it became a full-fledged library soon.
The Library also preserved archival material written in
Palm leaf manuscripts, original copies of regionally important
historic documents and newspapers that were published
hundred of years ago in the Jaffna peninsula. It thus
became a place of historic and symbolic importance to
Sri Lankan Tamil people.
about twenty six years of work, the first major wing of
the library was opened in 1959 by then Jaffna Mayor Alfred
Duraiappah. Prominent Indian librarian S.R. Ranganathan
served as an advisor to ensure that the library was built
to international standards.
Jaffna library became the pride of the local people as
even researchers from India and other countries began
to use it for their research purposes.